Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Food Chain


Biggleton Rabbit emerged from his burrow holding a corncob pipe in paw. The violet radiance illuminating the heavens was a sight to be beheld this particular sunset; and Biggleton planned to enjoy every second of its glory. He nestled into thick blades of grass and lit his pipe, watching the silhouette of birds disappearing into the Lord’s bosom. “What’s a cute little bunny doing out of his hole this late?” a sinister voice came from the brush. “Uh (gulp) evening Mr. Fox, sir” Biggleton trembled. “You know little bunny, it has been such a long day and I still hunger,” said the fox. “Well Mr. Fox I have stored beautiful, thick blades of grass and some nuts should you wish to join me for an evening snack.” “Hehehe” the fox snickered, “I do not want your pitiful grass nor nuts dumb rabbit, but I wish to have you.” Biggleton’s eyes began to swell as a tear or two ran down his little face. “Bu-but Mr. Fox sir, I do not wish to die tonight. Please spare me good sir.” “Silence you pitiful little thing” the fox sneered, “don’t you know you are on the lower end of the food chain here in the forest? You are a disgrace, crying for my pity. I shall eat you and make jewelry of your bones little rabbit.” As the fox prepared to make his kill stoke, a larger voice came from behind. “I too am hungry this evening for there were few fish in the stream today.” The fox quickly turned and was frightened at the sight of a magnificent grizzly bear that had been watching the exchange between the two animals. “Uh-Mr. Grizzly good sir-I, I was just about to feast on this delightfully meaty little rabbit here sir. Would you join me?” “My hunger is such that I crave more than such a puny little morsel like that rabbit,” said the bear, “I think you shall suffice quite nicely little fox.” The fox began to weep hysterically. “No please Mr. Grizzly, good, wonderful and kind Mr. Grizzly. Please do not ea…” GULP.

The rabbit watched in horror as the grizzly bear ate the fox. The bear then walked over to the quivering rabbit. “May I little rabbit,” said the bear motioning over to the rabbit’s pipe. “Uh yes, YES Mr. Grizzly, here take a puff sir, it would very much please me.” And the bear did. The two sat upon the meadow watching the sunset and exchanging folktales of the forest. The bear thanked the rabbit for the company and bid him goodnight as he walked away into the horizon. The rabbit galloped about happily to his burrow, whistling to the bright blue moon. As he neared his burrow, he was surprised to see his new friend awaiting outside the burrow entrance. “Ah, little rabbit,” said the bear, “I am still hungry.”

1 comment: